Saturday 1 October 2011

Blue sky and Autumn leaves

God, today has been my sort of day. I'm feeling rather smiley.

It's October but the sun has shone as if it were August and the turning leaves against a deep blue sky backlit by a low sun right now in my garden are just beautiful. We've had a barbecue and the children have played outside and in a minute I'm going to take my coffee outside and enjoy the last rays before it's time to get the children ready for bed. 

I know that I moan about how I don't like Autumn, but if it were all like this I reckon I could change my mind. How about it?

It's been a very lovely week. Pottering in the garden, walking round to pick up the girls from school or doing the usual mundane errands and jobs have all been made so much nicer by the unseasonable weather. A bit of sun and a blue sky really lifts my spirits. The children thrive on being outside riding bikes, making dens, getting dirty or running about involved in some wonderful imaginary game. I love the space and the air and sun on my face. I love watching the children and I love the peace and quiet when they're indoors and I'm out. 

I need to work on this level of appreciation when the weather is more Octobery, or Novembery, and so on. My mood seems so closely linked to the weather and that's not good I'm thinking. Alright when it suits me but I turn into Ms Grumpy when it rains or when it's dark and dank.

Help me to see the wonders of every season, Father God. Whether it's the little green shoots in Spring, or the flowers in Summer, or the leaves in Autumn, or...or...the frost? in Winter. I need to find things to celebrate. I need to learn contentment, and learn how to give thanks in all situations like good old St Paul. 

'Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.'

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

It's easy to rejoice when it's a day like this. When I've spent the day with my family and my church family; watching the children swim, working in the church coffee shop with my new friend the Espresso Machine, chatting to people I know, looking round a Food Fair and then coming home for a barbecue on a warm, sunny, deep blue skied October day. Next week or next month when the wind is cold and there's a frost that upsets my plants and condensation inside the windows; when I don't want to venture out to take the girls to school and come back cold and soggy - then I'll remember this bit. 

'Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.'

I think rejoicing has to be an act of will sometimes. Paul didn't tell us to rejoice when we feel so moved - we should rejoice always. Rejoice when the sky is blue and when it's grey and threatening. Rejoice when life is going my way, like today, and when it isn't, like a couple of weeks ago. Pray when I feel like praying and still pray when I don't. Give thanks when I'm full of gratitude and also when I'm cross and grumpy and feeling hard done to. Easier said than done I reckon, but I'm going to try. 



But for now, thankyou.

Today has been a Very Good Day. It's been full of good things and I've felt very happy indeed. 

It's been a surprise gift from you, my Father in Heaven and I will give you thanks.







No comments:

Post a Comment

A - Z Challenge: R - Ready

R has always felt to me like a late letter in the alphabet; a sign that the end is in sight. There's a good reason for this, I suppose: ...