Thursday 17 May 2012

Psalm 139: my version

Hello, Lord God.


You have taken a good long look at me, haven't you? 
You know me inside and out and back to front.
Whether I'm feet up with a glass of wine or reluctantly doing the vacuuming, 
you know what I'm thinking.
You know when I'm off out for coffee with a friend 
and when I finally climb under the duvet;
Nothing gets past you.
Before I've even decided what to say
You know what it's going to be (even when I shouldn't say anything at all).
You surround me on all sides.
You have touched me with mercy.
I can't get my head around it;
It's far too big for me.

There's nowhere I can go that you aren't already there.
How can I get away from you?
If I'm having a great day where everything goes my way
If I can't do anything right and I feel like giving up, you're there too.
Even if I get up to see the sunrise,
Or if I fly to the other side of the world,
Wherever I go, you'll show me the way.
If I say, 'That's it; it's all gone wrong
There's no point in trying any more,'
you can bring hope in the darkest of days
and turn trouble into triumph.


Because you made the very heart of me;
You put me together just the way you wanted me.
Just look at me - I'm a masterpiece!
Even when I don't feel like it, I know that you don't make mistakes.
Your creation is flawless.
From before I was born you were watching me
As I grew from the tiniest of cells, you took care of me.
From the earliest moments of my existence, you were full of love for me.
You had a plan for me from the very beginning;
You hold my life in the palm of your hand.

Oh, Father, if only I could grasp who you are;
you are so far beyond my imagination.
If I could get a glimpse of your glory
It would blow my mind.
Awake or asleep, you are right here next to me.
...
Lord, check out every last bit of me. 
Look at my heart at what I believe and what I feel, 
and in my head, at what I think. 
You know what I'm like.
If there is any part of me that you would change, 
Show me and help me put it right
so that I will be yours for eternity.

Amen


That's my Psalm 139, Father. With apologies for missing out the bit about annihilating bloodthirsty folks. Still not sure what to make of that bit. 

My Lord and my God. 

Here I am. 


1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful... (just sorry I'm a bit behind with reading the blog. Being poorly sort of knocked me out of routine!). Your witting is very special.

    ReplyDelete

A - Z Challenge: R - Ready

R has always felt to me like a late letter in the alphabet; a sign that the end is in sight. There's a good reason for this, I suppose: ...